“No rent refund if building catches fire” shouts a headline on Emirates 24/7, while stating that brokerage firms on behalf of property owners are incorporating a new clause on the rent contracts, that states ” The tenant will not be entitled for any rent refund in case the building becomes uninhabitable due to fire or any other natural calamity”
The article also states that ” The Dubai Municipality Rent Committee and the Real Estate Regulatory Agency have stated that a contract cannot be nullified if the parties have mutually agreed to the clauses stated in the addendums attached to rent contracts”.
Non refund of the rent is manageable to an extent, but what if the fire or other type of damage is caused by the negligence of the tenant, his family or his maid.
Very few people are aware of the fact that it is possible to obtain an Insurance which can cover the following for less than 100 dirhams a month.
- Contents like furniture, fixtures, Carpets, Electronic and Electrical Equipment
- Personal belongings like Jewellery, Watches, Art, etc…
- Building or property insurance for home owners
- Domestic helpers ( Maid) accident or life cover, to protect from the liability arising out of accident or death including the repatriation of the deceased
- Tenants & occupiers liability, which protects the tenant from any loss to the property arising out of his or his family’s negligence.
Some insurance companies also have plans which pay for an alternative accommodation in case the insured home is uninhabitable due to a calamity.
In Dubai one can avail the Property and or Home contents Insurance from AXA Insurance, Zurich Insurance, AIG. To help you choose the most suitable cover for your home and its contents and belongings please contact: email@example.com